Monday, September 14, 2009

Camping

Over Labor Day weekend, we took the girls to Brook Cherith Camp in Pierson, Michigan for a one-night adventure. Brook Cherith is my childhood summer camp, and I was eager to share my love of the outdoors with the kids. Here is Tyler and the girls, waiting to roast "smarshmallows" over the campfire.


Our campsite! Yes, we all four slept in the tent. It was cozy, but we managed. Tyler fell asleep fast and was snoring loudly! Maddy woke up a few times during the night, sat up, and looked around confused. I would tell her that we were all sleeping outside in the tent and she would close her eyes and go back to sleep. Ella woke up once and asked if it was time to go swimming in the lake. That's all she could think about.


Maddy wanted to stay up late and gaze into the fire. Finally she collapsed around 9pm.


Ella liked the flashlight better than the fire. She enjoyed playing outside in the dark, which she never gets to do at home.


My favorite part of our camping trip was finding a beaver dam. We were hiking the trail around the lake, but couldn't make it all the way because the beavers dam and water blocked the trail. It was the closest I've ever been to a beaver dam. I could reach out and touch the mud and sticks..

No comments: