Because many of you have asked, I'm finally getting around to adding another post. We ended our summer with a trip out East. Nanna Emrick and Aunt Kristy threw a party for Ella in New Jersey. Lots of friends and family showered Ella with hugs and kisses and some great gifts! We used the money to start a savings accound for Ella's future education. Then, we spent a few days at the lake cottage in New York. Although we would have loved to stay longer, I had to be back to get ready for school and meet with all of my students.
It sure was hard leaving my Ella and going back to work. The beginning was the most difficult when I had to work full days. Now that I am on my part time schedule, things have settled down a bit. Ella wakes up early, usually around 6AM and would like to stay awake, so we have breakfast and read. Then when she goes down for her morning nap, I shower and get ready for the day. Often I squeeze in a bit of housework too or plan what to have for dinner that evening. Then, Ella usually wakes up just in time so I can see her for a short bit before heading off to work. When I get home in the evening, I appreciate my time with Ella (even when she is fussy) since I haven't seen her all afternoon.
Marcella's starting to eat solid food now! Since she was reaching for food off of our plates and already sitting in her high chair at the table, we thought it was about time. We started with rice cereal. We've also added bananas and avocado. When time permits I'm going to try to make my own baby food and freeze it. I got some great ideas from the book, "Super Baby Food." As ambitious as I might seem now, I know I'll need some jars of Gerber food for back up. Anyway, we are just feeding her once a day, at night after we eat dinner. That seems to be when she is the hungriest.
Also in September, Ella had her 4-month doctor's appointment. She's now 25 1/2 inches weighing 15 lbs, 4 oz. That puts her in the 90 percentile. Her head has not caught up to her body. It's circumference is only 15 1/2 inches which is only the 10 percentile. I thought that I would have a tiny, frail child because of her heart defect. Instead, Ella is such a chunk. I love her fat cheeks which I kiss often!
Ella also saw her cardiologist. She wasn't very cooperative during the ultrasound of her heart. She fussed, then cried, then screamed and really just didn't want anyone messing with her. (I think it was a full moon) We'll have to go back in four months to try again. If she won't lie still... then they might have to schedule an appointment to have her sedated at the hospital. Dr. Schneider is still concerned about her narrow vessels. In particular, the left pulmonary artery is small. It's the one that pumps blood into her left lung. We'll know more after a successful ultrasound in... January I think.
I'll post pictures soon. Ella has lost almost all of her dark hair. There is now lighter-colored hair growing in like peach fuzz. Her eyes are still blue and they sparkle when she cries as she's just started making tear drops.
Honoring Who We Love
2 weeks ago
1 comment:
thanks for the update... Ella looked real good last time i saw her. i wouldn't have known that her life began with such
challenge(s) by looking at her. she seemed real healthy, no different than other little ones her age.
-Calvin
Post a Comment